At least nine Palestinians have been killed in a latest round of Israeli airstrikes in the Gaza Strip, Palestinian Health Ministry officials have claimed.
The Israeli strikes in central Gaza today killed six people, all believed to be from the same family, and wounded 50 others, reported BBC News.
In addition, three people, including a child and a woman, were killed on 19 August as Israel resumed aerial strikes hours before a temporary ceasefire was scheduled to expire.
The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said it resumed air raids after Hamas fired nearly 50 rockets in the south of the country on Tuesday, despite a ceasefire.
IDF spokesperson lieutenant colonel Peter Lerner said: "Yet again, terrorists breach the ceasefire and renew fire at Israeli civilians from the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.
"This continued aggression will be addressed accordingly by the IDF; we will continue striking terror infrastructure, pursuing terrorists, and eliminating terror capabilities in the Gaza Strip, in order to restore security for the state of Israel."
The fatalities were the first since a temporary ceasefire was agreed between Israel and Hamas last week.
Meanwhile, the resumption of hostilities has reportedly prompted the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to recall Israeli negotiators from Egyptian-mediated ceasefire talks in Cairo.
Palestinian lead negotiator and Fatah movement senior member Azzam al-Ahmad was quoted by Reuters as saying: "There was an Israeli decision to make the Cairo talks fail."
However, Israeli Government spokesman Mark Regev rejected al-Ahmad’s assertion, saying: "The Cairo process was built on a total and complete cessation of all hostilities and so when rockets were fired from Gaza, not only was it a clear violation of the ceasefire but it also destroyed the premise upon which the talks were based."
At least 2,016 Palestinians and 66 Israelis are believed to have died since Israel launched Operation Protective Edge in Gaza on 8 July.