View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
March 30, 2016

Reliance and Israel’s Rafael to develop air defence system in India

India's Reliance Defence has entered a strategic partnership with Israel-based Rafael Advanced Defence Systems to jointly develop modern weapon systems.

India’s Reliance Defence has entered a strategic partnership with Israel-based Rafael Advanced Defence Systems to jointly develop modern weapon systems.

Valued at $10bn, the new project will focus on domestic production of air-to-air missiles, air defence systems and large aerostats in India.

Work will be carried out at Dhirubhai Ambani land Systems Park for ultra-modern weapon system, Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India.

"The new entity will offer the entire range of specialist products in these fields to the Indian Armed Forces."

The company said that Rafael will offer solutions through the joint venture company for the ongoing ‘Buy Global’ programmes.

Rafael is currently competing in line with ‘Make in India’ initiatives of the Indian Government.

According to current guidelines of the Government of India, Reliance Defence will hold a 51% share in the JV , and the remaining 49% will be held by Rafael.

The new entity will offer the entire range of specialist products in these fields to the Indian Armed Forces.

A market leader in the air-to-air missile segment with products such as Python and Derby, Rafael’s air defence systems product suite includes a number of short and medium-range missiles.

Previously, Rafael has provided airborne warning and control system (AWACS) to the Indian Air Force (IAF) for its surveillance, reconnaissance, communication and intelligence needs.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Monday. The defence industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Airforce Technology