FN Herstal to Unveil FN MINIMI Machine Gun at MILIPOL 2013
Belgium-based small arms manufacturer FN Herstal unveils the next generation FN MINIMI® light machine gun in both 5.56mm and 7.62mm calibers during the MILIPOL exhibition in Paris (19 – 22 November 2013).
The modifications introduced on the FN MINIMI® Mk3 result from feedback provided by users engaged in current operating theatres. Indeed, the demands of users have evolved over the past 10 to 15 years due to changes in the way the FN MINIMI® machine gun is used in combat (increased use of accessories, evolutions in the soldier’s equipment, and changes in tactics such as shooting from all positions).
The new FN MINIMI® Mk3 offers the users improved ergonomics and improved mobility while retaining the same core mechanism as the previous versions, for a limited impact on logistics.Main changes are:
- An ergonomic buttstock adjustable in length (5 positions) to allow compensation for body armor and load bearing equipment. The buttstock is adjustable for cheek rest height as well. The user can have his eye correctly aligned with the iron sights, or optical sights, while keeping his cheek properly positioned on the buttstock. It also integrates a folding shoulder rest and a hydraulic buffer that stabilizes the rate of fire and reduces felt recoil
- A new handguard/bipod assembly that provides a comfortable handguard and three forward MIL-STD 1913 Picatinny® accessory rails.The adjustable-height (three positions) bipod, when folded back, integrates into the shape of the handguard even with an accessory on the lower rail
- An ergonomically-shaped cocking handle that gives the user a better grip with the strong or weak hand
- An improved feed tray with belt retaining pawls that hold the belt correctly in position during the loading procedure, which is most usefulwhen the user is in the standing position
- An optional heatshield that greatly reduces the risk of inadvertently touching the barrel
- The convertibility of the FN MINIMI® 7.62 to fire 5.56x45mmammunition.
Customers with 5.56mm or 7.62mm FN MINIMI® machine guns already in service are not left behind. FN Herstal offers them a customised upgrade programme to upgrade partially or completely their weapons: adapted to their exact needs and easily carried out by the armorer on site using the supporting documentation provided with the conversion kits. FN Herstal’s technical experts are also available to help the customer make the right choice among the various conversion kits or accompany him during the converting operations.
The new FN MINIMI® Mk3 machine gun in 5.56mm and 7.62mm calibers, as well as the various conversion kits, will be on show on FN Herstal’s booth during the MILIPOL exhibition in Paris (Belgian Pavilion, hall 5, booth no. M217).
Since its creation in 1889, Belgium-based Company FN HERSTAL has designed, developed and manufactured small caliber firearms and associated products based on state-of-the-art technologies, imposing itself over the decades as a leading supplier of light and portable weapons, integrated weapon systems and ammunition to military, law enforcement and special forces operators worldwide.
The recent years were no different with FN Herstal launching a number of newly developed products, such as the FN SCAR® family, including a 5.56 or 7.62 assault rifle, a 40mm grenade launcher and a precision rifle, the FN FCU™ fire control unit for 40mm LV/MV grenades and the FN SmartCore® shot counter. On the integrated weapon systems side of the business, the development of the deFNder® RWS line was undoubtedly a significant step in meeting evolutions in customer demands.
For additional information on FN Herstal’s products, visit www.fnherstal.com.