Rheinmetall Air Defence
Ground-Based Air Defence Systems
- Company Details
- Products & Services
- White Papers
- Press Releases
- Regional Offices
- Contact Company
The complex requirements imposed on short and very short-range air defence have become much more complex in recent years. Both quantitatively and qualitatively, the air threat continues to mutate and multiply.
Increasingly, the emphasis is on unmanned air vehicles and precision guided munitions that are smaller, faster and more agile than ever; only the most sophisticated air defence systems can provide protection against these threats.
Advanced air defence systems
Rheinmetall Defence's air defence division is one of the world's foremost makers of advanced air defence systems. The company leads the global market in automatic cannon-based air defence, and is the only system supplier able to offer fire control technology, automatic 35mm cannon, integrated guided missiles and Ahead airburst ammunition, all from a single source.
The ground forces of over 40 nations count on Rheinmetall's state-of-the-art air defence solutions.
Fully automated and extremely effective, our high-performance systems are ideal to protect military and civil high-value assets from modern symmetric and asymmetric threats. Thanks to the company's Ahead technology, they can take out even the smallest targets.
Command and control systems for air defence
We offer customer-tailored solutions for tactical and operative air defence networks with multi spectrum sensor netting.
Oerlikon Skymaster® Command and Control Systems:
- Customer tailored solutions
- Tactical and operative air defence networks
- Multi spectrum sensor netting solutions
- Force multiplier on all command levels and increased effectiveness
Asset protection systems
MOOTW systems are designed for conference and vital critical asset protection of strategic national concern or protection of fielded military engaged in peacekeeping or nation-building missions.
Oerlikon Skyshield® MOOTW/C-RAM System:
- Defence system for round the clock protection
- Highly effective against RAM targets – sense and warn, intercept
- Works with netted sensors
- Build for highest precision
- Integrated command system
- Use of Ahead ammunition
Stationary critical asset protection systems
Stationary critical asset protection systems are used as the inner tier of the layered air defence for vital point protection of critical military infrastructures. They have a high efficiency against fast and small air targets.
Oerlikon Skyguard® Air Defence System:
- Third generation of the legendary Skyguard air defence product line
- Skyguard 3 fire control unit
- Connecting up to four effectors such as:
- Oerlikon Twin Gun® GDF007
- VSHORAD missile launchers
- Oerlikon Revolver Gun® Mk 2 Towed
- Optimised for inner tier and vital asset protection
- Use of Ahead technology
Mobile air defence systems
Our mobile defence systems are self-propelled and are used for the protection of moving vital assets, such as mechanised forces or convoys.
Oerlikon Skyranger® Mobile Air Defence System:
- Modular multi-mission mobile air defence system
- Concentrated fire power
- Adaptable armour protection
Skyarcher® ASRAD 2 Mobile Air Defence System:
- Mobile VSHORAD missile air defence system
- Electro-optic target tracking sensor
- Capable for various fire and forget VSHORAD missiles
- Optional 0.5in machine gun for self defence
- Capable for autonomous and networked mobile operations
Air and naval defence services
We also offer customer tailored service solutions such as instruction in the handling of systems, maintenance, and tactics.
Our naval defence services offer all the benefits of our ground-based air defence systems, specially designed for naval layered air defence tasks. More information is available on the Naval-Technology website.
Available White Papers
Oerlikon Skyshield® MOOTW / C-RAM System The opponent side using rockets, artillery and mortar (RAM) in asymmetric warfare is highly mobile and very difficult to identify and to distinguish. The Oerlikon Skyshield® MOOTW / C-RAM System is the Rheinmetall Air Defence solution to counter this challenge.
The Oerlikon Skyshield® Air Defence System – Countering the Threat from Above In contemporary conflicts, where the threat is often asymmetric, attacks can come at any time and any place - especially from above.
Oerlikon X-TAR3D Search Radar In today's and future conflicts, aerial attacks continue to pose a major threat to troop concentrations, military bases, civilian population centres and critical civilian infrastructure. Rheinmetall offers a wide array of sophisticated air defence solutions, which include the Oerlikon X-TAR3D search radar.